[smartmontools-support] smartctl -l error causes NVME to die on Debian unstable, Dell XPS 13 7390, Micron 2200S

B b at mydomainnameisbiggerthanyours.com
Sat Dec 28 08:12:23 CET 2019

At this point I am convinced this is a kernel issue on my specific
hardware. It's the common factor in all of my problems and changing
other variables has no effect.

I suspect this problem will go away the next time Debian published a new
kernel.

I didn't find anything specific to my issue when googling around, but I
found some other issues on i915 systems, like I have, causing problems
for NVMEs. This might be some something like that.

One thing to note is that the firmware on my drive is 22001030, but the
current available on LVFS and Dell's website is 22001020. I may have
some freaky experimental firmware. I see some interesting dates on the
Dell website that make me think they may have released 22001030 and then
pulled it for some reason.