[smartmontools-support] Should I worry?

Nathan Stratton Treadway nathanst at ontko.com
Wed Dec 4 17:27:08 CET 2019

On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 15:53:31 +0100, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
> On Sunday, December 01, 2019 15:28:17 Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
> > What does smartctl report now?
>
> Not much ;)
>

> smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.9.4-201.fc25.x86_64] (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Vendor:               /systemd
> Product:              /systemd
> >> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page
> A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive'
> options.

Not much indeed :)

Looking more closely at the syslog liens you posted earlier, I see the
kernel ended up completely disabling this drive (starting at Dec  1
08:45:28):

  ata1: hard resetting link
  [...]
  ata1: softreset failed (device notready)
  ata1: reset failed, giving up
  ata1.00: disabled

So that would explain why smartctl didn't get anything at all back....

The drive might well come back to life after a reboot or cold restart
(or unplug/replug if it's hot-pluggable), in which case smartctl would
presumably work again and might report something interesting (though
clearly the drive is failing, so it would only be interesting in the
"what can we deduce about why this drive died?" sense).

							Nathan