[smartmontools-support] Should I worry?

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes ctrlsmart at dahl-stamnes.net
Sun Dec 1 15:53:31 CET 2019

On Sunday, December 01, 2019 15:28:17 Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 08:54:21 +0100, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
> > Since all of the files has been moved away from the disk I though I
> > should stress-test it. I deleted all files from the disk (one big
> > directory with many large files) and then copied the moved files back
> > again.
> >
> > The first time it went rather OK but on the second attempt file copy
> > began to be very slow. After 20+ hours the file system changed to
> > read-only and this messages appeared in the system logs (see below). A
> > new disk is ready to be installed.
>
> Yeah, looks like you have your answer :)
>
> What does smartctl report now?

Not much ;)

smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.9.4-201.fc25.x86_64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               /systemd
Product:              /systemd
>> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive'
options.

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
homepage: http://photo.dahl-stamnes.net/