[smartmontools-support] smartctl / Airflow_Temperature_Cel, In_the_past-values

Robert Gruber rubbish at utanet.at
Thu Feb 15 05:58:01 CET 2018

On 2018-02-14 22:43, Bruce Allen wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Before your fan malfunction, the highest temperature that your disk had
> reached was below the design threshold.  During the fan malfunction,
> your disk went above the design threshold temperature.  As a result, the
> disk is now marked as having exceeded the "old age" failure threshold.
> This is because the worst value "43" is below the threshold value "45".
> However currently the value of 62 is well above the threshold.  So
> currently the temperature is within the acceptable operating range.
>
> If the drive has fluid bearings and is now acting OK, then you can
> probably ignore this overtemperature in the past.  But for example if
> you return the disk under warranty then it's possible that Seagate will
> say that you have operated it under conditions not covered by the
> warranty, and won't service/replace it.
>
> I don't know how to interpret the "in the past" values.  Seagate might
> tell you if you ask them.

Hello Bruce!

Thank you for your answer! As Christian Franke (Thanks) already
suggested I shortly asked Seagate and got this answer:

"Dear Robert Gruber:

Thank you for contacting Seagate Support. From your email, we understand
that you would like to know about the SMART values from the third-party
utility 'smartmontools'. We will be glad to assist you with this.

Please note that third-party diagnostic tool test results may not
reliable for Seagate drives and the SMART values that might be read out
by third-party SMART software are not based on how the values may be
used within the Seagate hard drives. Seagate does not provide support
for software programs that claim to read individual SMART attributes and
thresholds.

In this instance, we suggest that you run the SMART test using Seatools
for DOS and provide us report whether it has not been tripped or
tripped. SeaTools for DOS is a bootable version. You should burn the
SeaTools.ISO onto a CD.

SeaTools for DOS - Bootable .ISO File:

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

SeaTools for DOS – Application:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

SeaTools for DOS - User Guide:

http://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-dos-guide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS - Knowledge article:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en?language=en_US&key=ka030000000tmoMAAQ&kb=n&wwwlocale=en-us

Note: The Fix All long and Fix All Fast attempts to repair any problem
unreadable LBAs (sectors) it might detect. It is important to know that
when the sector is bad and unreadable, any data in it is already lost.
As an advisory statement, we would like to inform you that repairing the
disk, deleting, erasing, formatting, or partitioning your drive will
permanently delete the data (pictures, videos, music, and documents),and
Seagate may not be able to recover it without it incurring a cost.

Please get back to us with the SeaTools for DOS SMART test results,
based on which we will analyze and assist you further. Awaiting for your
response at the earliest.

Please reply to this email if you require further assistance.

Regards,
Antony
Seagate Support"

Probably I should ask HGST ;-)