[smartmontools-support] Unable to run extended SMART selftest

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Wed Aug 1 07:30:00 CEST 2018

Albin wrote:
>> Possibly a firmware issue. In the past, I've seen various issues with
>> the self-test logs of Intel SSDs. Does '-t short' work ?
>
> # smartctl -t short /dev/sda
>
> After some seconds I checked if it'd been interrupted.
>
> # smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda

> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
> LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Short offline       Aborted by host               00% 110     -

As expected: Self-tests do not work at all.

>> See also this thread from Intel SSD forum about another 535 with same
>> firmware:
>> https://communities.intel.com/thread/87837
>> Self-test log is filled with "Aborted by host" but self-test
>> execution status reports "...completed without error ...".
>
> Sadly there wasn't much information in that thread. Or I'm missing
> something, which is very possible.

The smartctl output in this thread may show that  the problem is not
specific to your system but specific to this drive model & FW.

>>> Self-test execution status:      ( 0)    The previous self-test
>>> routine completed
>>>                     without error or no self-test has ever
>>>                     been run.
>>
>> This does not match with info from self-Test log.
>
> That do you mean?

Normally above "Self-test execution status" should match "Status" column
of first row of self-test log. If not, this may indicate a broken
implementation of self-tests.

>> This is the old error log which does not support 48-bit LBA. Please
>> try 'smartctl -l xerror' (included in 'smartctl -x' but not in '-a')
>> to read the newer error log.
>> [...]
>> Same for self-test log. Please try 'smartctl -l xselftest' (or
>> 'smartctl -x').
>
> I'm unsure of the full command you want me to run, so I ran `smartctl`
> with the options I think you wanted.
>
> # smartctl -x -d ata /dev/sda
> ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x00:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: 48-bit ATA
> commands not implemented
> Read GP Log Directory failed

On Linux, '-d ata' selects traditional ATA support which does not
support 48-bit ATA commands. Without '-d ata', more logs may appear in
'-x' output. Please use attachments for longer smartctl outputs to avoid
reformatting.

Thanks,
Christian