[smartmontools-support] Using smartmontools 6.1 to read status of TLER setting from SATA drives through megaraid controllers uses wrong command per LSI

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Tue Apr 3 07:26:22 CEST 2018

Steven Tague wrote:
> I do not see any issue fixed since 6.1 that addresses this issue.
>
> We successfully use
> 	smartctl  -d sat+megaraid,$id -l scterc,0,0 /dev/sda  -T verypermissive
> to turn TLER off
> however we do not get meaningful status reading TLER setting with
> 	smartctl  -d sat+megaraid,$id -l scterc /dev/sda  -T verypermissive

The latter command typically fails because the SAT layer of the
controller driver or firmware does not properly return ATA output
registers in SCSI sense data. Smartctl prints "SMART WRITE LOG does not
return COUNT and LBA_LOW register" in this case.

For further diagnostics, please provide output of:

   smartctl  -r ioctl,2 -d sat+megaraid,$id -l scterc /dev/sda"

Thanks,
Christian