[smartmontools-support] Smarmontools bug

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Sun Oct 8 15:22:57 CEST 2017

Przemysław Prądzyński wrote:

> I'm a home user of your tool smartctl to reading SMART information
> from my SATA disks. And I met a problem. Basically problem occurs when
> I have two SATA disks on my system, one with system and second as data
> drive (no RAID mode). My laptop supports D3cold state for SATA drives
> and when my data disk is in D3cold and then I will get a SMART info by
> smartctl tool, I got error and I can't read any SMART from data disk.
> I debugged a little this problem and I saw that problems it is from
> smartctl tool which doesn't send */IOCTL_SCSI_MINIPORT_SMART_VERSION.
> /*Instead of that smartctl sends wrong (unsupported) ioctl:
> */SCSI_MODE_PAGE_PROTOCOL_SPECIFIC_PORT /*for /MODE_SENSE. /

The device is possibly detected as SCSI/SAS instead of (S)ATA if in some
mode.

Please provide the following info:
- Vendor and version of the SATA Driver,
- Smartctl command line parameters used,
- Sample smartctl outputs with these parameters and enabled debug output
(add '-r ioctl,2').

Please use text/plain attachments for the sample outputs.

Thanks,
Christian