[smartmontools-support] Smarmontools bug

Przemysław Prądzyński przemyslaw.pradzynski at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 08:43:01 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'm a home user of your tool smartctl to reading SMART information from my
SATA disks. And I met a problem. Basically problem occurs when I have two
SATA disks on my system, one with system and second as data drive (no RAID
mode). My laptop supports D3cold state for SATA drives and when my data
disk is in D3cold and then I will get a SMART info by smartctl tool, I got
error and I can't read any SMART from data disk. I debugged a little this
problem and I saw that problems it is from smartctl tool which doesn't send
*IOCTL_SCSI_MINIPORT_SMART_VERSION. *Instead of that smartctl sends wrong
(unsupported) ioctl: *SCSI_MODE_PAGE_PROTOCOL_SPECIFIC_PORT *for *MODE_SENSE.
*Could you look at this problem, please? I think it will be a small fix to
repair this and smartctl tool will be supported reading SMART information
from SATA disks as should be works :)

Best regards,
Przemyslaw