[smartmontools-support] Drive PASSED health check but will not take partition table

doark at mail.com doark at mail.com
Wed Aug 16 16:35:15 CEST 2017

Hello,
This message does not imply nor do I have any concerns about lost or
losing data.
A while ago I own one drive and later bought two more drives that
were furbished and placed them into a RAID array.
A few months later one of them, a WD, failed to read the partition table.
I ran a full test of the drive which completed with a read error, yet the
drive passed the health check and was more healthy than the also
refurbished Seagate model. I rewrote the partition table and resyned the
array and rebooted to find that the partition table was again lost. I
tried this a third time with the same result.

So, what I want to know is:
1: What killed this drive?
2: Why is the health check passing?
3:And most importantly, do I need to do anything about the Seagate drive
whose health is worse (I continue to use it)?

My system does seem stable, though writing a file with a text editor
sometimes takes a while...
BTW: the Hitachi drive eventually reached EOL and I replaced it too,
though it did indicate failing health.

Attached are the smart logs bz2 compressed to save space.

Thanks,
David