[Smartmontools-database] Unable to obtain information from Samsung T5 2TB on MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3

d. delta at deltagolf.me
Tue Apr 27 13:41:55 CEST 2021

I'm trying to gather s.m.a.r.t. data from an external Samsung T5 SSD 2TB, on a Mac

- MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3
- MacBook Pro 15' Mid 2015
- External disk: Samsung T5 SSD 2TB

- I've installed smartmontools
- I've installed the kernel driver as described here: https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx/usb-drive-support

With smartmontools and DriveDX I can successfully get data from a Maxtor HDD and a WD Element HDD, so I think, drivers are good, and the procedure of attaching the external drives after a reboot works.
Still can't get SMART data from the Samsung T5.

this is the result of the request:

smartctl -a disk2

smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [Darwin 20.3.0 x86_64] (local build)

Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Smartctl open device: disk2 failed: Operation not supported by device

The only hypothesis is that the T5 has an enclosure that doesn't support SMART technology, but I've seen reviews of the disk which included SMART reports.

Anything I can try?