[Smartmontools-database] not supported USB to SATA controller

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Mon Jul 20 12:37:06 CEST 2020

On Saturday, 18 July 2020 at 16:19, schrotty wrote:
> I have a USB to SATA controller by VIA      "2109:0711 VIA Labs, Inc."
> that is not supported by  smartmontools

Have you tried any of the -d usb* options?

$ smartctl --help
  -d TYPE, --device=TYPE
         Specify device type to one of:
         ata, scsi[+TYPE], nvme[,NSID], sat[,auto][,N][+TYPE],
         usbcypress[,X], usbjmicron[,p][,x][,N], usbprolific,
         usbsunplus, sntjmicron[,NSID], intelliprop,N[+TYPE],
	 jmb39x,N[,sLBA][,force][+TYPE], marvell, areca,N/E, 3ware,N,
         hpt,L/M/N, megaraid,N, aacraid,H,L,ID, cciss,N, auto, test

For example, I recently found a USB enclosure that was not in the
database, so it didn't work by default, but started working after I
specified -d usbsunplus option.

Regards,
Dominik
--