[qutebrowser] qt-debug Archlinux repository archived - debuginfod is the future!

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Fri May 13 16:17:35 CEST 2022

Hi,

For some time, I maintained a qt-debug Archlinux repository, providing
Qt builds with debugging symbols to get better stacktraces on crashes.
Building everything and keeping things updated was quite some effort,
so despite some automation in place, it often was outdated - in fact,
the last update is from early 2021...

Recently, Archlinux started shipping their own debug information via a
debuginfod instance: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Debuginfod

Nowdadays, this seems to work for their Qt packages too - thus, the only
thing you need to do to get debug information for stacktraces is now to
set DEBUGINFOD_URLS="https://debuginfod.archlinux.org/" somewhere in
your environment.

Therefore, I archived the packages as well as the associated repository
and updated the associated qutebrowser docs:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qt-debug-pkgbuild/commit/ed24b4e226a71328ee56f200044f428f218ff1b0?short_path=b335630#diff-b335630551682c19a781afebcf4d07bf978fb1f8ac04c6bf87428ed5106870f5
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/commit/87c2c945c94dbd8624dd84cad9651d57203a7a26?short_path=507973c#diff-507973c4278233115deaf26a77a3f2129cd47831de438d5fe9b905cc34c35d1d

If you still have a

    [qt-debug]
    Server = https://qutebrowser.org/qt-debug/$arch

in your /etc/pacman.conf, this will now lead to a 404 and should be
removed (well, it should have been removed a long time ago, given how
outdated my packages were... sorry about that!).

Huge thanks to Morten Linderud (Foxboron), Antonio Rojas (arojas) and
all the other Archlinux staff which made this possible, thus lifting
some efforts off my shoulders with not having to maintain custom Qt
packages anymore!
https://archlinux.org/news/debug-packages-and-debuginfod/

Florian

--