[qutebrowser] Log in to Google Account using qutebrowser

Denis Khizhniak 4denis.kh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 23:38:05 CET 2019

Hi Ryan,

Very interested thoughts about the privacy.
I've never been worried about this seriously though I heard the about the
issue.
Actually I'm not fighting for neither of both just noted that I found some
Google services convenient enough, for ex. I can't imagine my day without
Google maps with it's completeness of organisations, coffee shops, stores,
etc, traffic information and navigation system. Another one is Gmail which
I am using not only for android account, but for all emails.

BTW, I was using pass, but didn't know that I can use it on the cell phone
as well. My experience with this application ended in storing and
retrieving back the email password for mutt.

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019, 23:01 Ryan Roden-Corrent <ryan at rcorre.net> wrote:

> [...]
> service in the way you want, you can keep fighting that battle, or look for
> friendlier alternatives.
>
> Best of luck, whichever route you choose :)
>
> -Ryan
>
> On December 4, 2019 11:22:14 AM EST, Denis Khizhniak <4denis.kh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you, Florian, a really comprehensive answer.
>>
>> I am not really bothered about my security as I have nothing to hind. I
>> like the way Google lets me save and substitute my credentials for plenty
>> of web resources and across multiple devices. Otherwise, it would not be a
>> problem for me with accessing my Google Account on qutebrowser.
>> I mean Google makes my life easier sometimes and would like to retain his
>> help. At the same time, I like the simplicity and the vim-like nature of
>> qutebrowser.
>>
>> Anyway, the information that you've shared is quite interesting and
>> helpful. Thank you.
>>

>> ср, 4 дек. 2019 г. в 13:28, Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org>:

>>> it's
>>>
>>> Neither do I. Chances are that as soon as someone finds a solution,
>>> Google will
>>> just adjust whatever checking they do to break it again.
>>>
>>> There are various other projects and browsers (including e.g. Brave or
>>> Steam)
>>> affected as well. Some examples:
>>>
>>> https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/21838601
>>> https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/21634818
>>>
>>> https://github.com/search?q=%22You+are+trying+to+sign+in+from+a+browser+or+app+that+doesn%27t+allow+us+to+keep+your+account+secure%22&type=Issues
>>>
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_browser/comments/cyrlt0/you_are_trying_to_sign_in_from_a_browser_or_app/
>>>
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/e3kb4w/steam_web_browser_problems/
>>>
>>> There are some people who claim to have a solution, but don't want to
>>> talk
>>> about it publicly - precisely because it'll just end up in Google
>>> blocking that
>>> as well.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't be surprised if Google just blocks pretty much everything
>>> other than
>>> Chrome and maybe Firefox. It's ridiculous, but it's yet another sign
>>> showing
>>> that maybe it isn't a good thing to make yourself dependent on Google -
>>> you're
>>> absolutely at their mercy, and they don't exactly have a good track
>>> record.
>>>
>>> I've once tried helping someone who only got an internal server error
>>> when
>>> trying to open an important attachment of an older mail in GMail. We
>>> contacted
>>> Google Support, and as you'd predict, nothing happened.
>>>
>>> Given that Google really doesn't care about its users, your only option
>>> is
>>> either switching browsers, or moving away from Google. I did the latter
>>> ago[*]. Seeing what's going on here, this absolutely was the right