[qutebrowser] [qutebrowser/qutebrowser] Cache last fired hint for ease of access (#4373)

Jay Kamat jaygkamat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 05:59:05 CEST 2018

Right now, (I think) the elements are sent back to python, where they are
counted, and hints are generated based on the number of hint keys and
elements. Since we have access to the elements in python, I don't think
there's anything blocking this from happening. However, we would need to start
to store hinting history and find some algorithm for ranking things by
frequency, which wouldn't be trivial. Since the elements may not be exactly
the same, we would also need a way to treat similar elements as 'equal' as
well.

I think there might be an issue for trying to sort hints by 'most likely to be
useful' as well.

The code for this is in qutebrowser/browser/hints.py:418 in case your curious.

Maybe adding custom mapping functions (from a list of elements to a list of
hints) could be something that is added to the plugin api. Because this seems
pretty complex, it's probably something that won't get worked on unless it's
an external contribution (or a plugin).

-Jay