[qutebrowser] qutebrowser v0.8.0 released!

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Jul 26 14:23:28 CEST 2016

Hi,

I'm happy to annouce the release of qutebrowser v0.8.0!

The main reason for this release is that v0.7.0 will break with
PyQt 5.7 which is soon going to be released.

I decided to do a new minor release instead of a patch release as
plenty new features have accumulated already. If your distribution
can't update to v0.8.0 for some reason, backporting the following
patch *should* work, though I haven't verified this:

https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/commit/63e466f01985abd7be275855f0af7450eb97d8e1

This release also got a big refactoring to prepare for QtWebEngine
support. To my current knowledge, all issues have been smoothened out.
If not, crash reports shall now tell me. ;)

You can also already start with "--backend webengine" with this
release to try the QtWebEngine support - however many features are
still missing.

Source release and binaries for Windows/OS X are available, the Debian
packages are still work-in-progress.

The full changelog for this release:

Added
~~~~~

- New `:repeat-command` command (mapped to `.`) to repeat the last command.
  Note that two former default bundings conflict with that binding, unbinding
  them via `:unbind .i` and `:unbind .o` is recommended.
- New `qute:bookmarks` page which displays all bookmarks and quickmarks.
- New `:prompt-open-download` (bound to `Ctrl-X`) which can be used to open a
  download directly when getting the filename prompt.
- New `{host}` replacement for tab- and window titles which evaluates
  to the current host.
- New default binding `;t` for `:hint input`.
- New variables `$QUTE_CONFIG_DIR`, `$QUTE_DATA_DIR` and
  `$QUTE_DOWNLOAD_DIR` available for userscripts.
- New option `ui` -> `status-position` to configure the position of the
  status bar (top/bottom).
- New `--pdf <filename>` argument for `:print` which can be used to generate a
  PDF without a dialog.

Changed
~~~~~~~

- `:scroll-perc` now prefers a count over the argument given to it, which means
  `gg` can be used with a count.
- Aliases can now use `;;` to have an alias which executed multiple commands.
- `:edit-url` now does nothing if the URL isn't changed in the spawned editor.
- `:bookmark-add` can now be passed a URL and title to add that as a bookmark
  rather than the current page.
- New `taskadd` userscript to add a taskwarrior task annotated with the
  current URL.
- `:bookmark-del` and `:quickmark-del` now delete the current page's URL if none
  is given.

Fixed
-----

- Compatibility with PyQt 5.7
- Fixed some configuration values being lost when a config option gets removed
  from qutebrowser's code.
- Fix crash when downloading with a full disk
- Using `:jump-mark` (e.g. `''`) when the current URL is invalid doesn't crash
  anymore.

Removed
-------

- The ability to display status messages from webpages, as well as the related
  `ui ->  display-statusbar-messages` setting.
- The `general -> wrap-search` setting as searches now always wrap.
  According to a quick straw poll and prior crash logs, almost nobody is using
  `wrap-search = false`, and turning off wrapping is not possible with
  QtWebEngine.
- `:edit-url` now doesn't accept a count anymore as its behavior was confusing
  and it doesn't make much sense to add a count.

Since v0.7.0, the following people have contributed to qutebrowser:

- Ryan Roden-Corrent
- Jan Verbeek
- Daniel Schadt
- Marshall Lochbaum