Password management et al

Mel Boyce mel at thestack.co
Thu Oct 1 09:28:01 CEST 2015

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015, at 16:28, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> Hey Mel,
>
> * Mel Boyce <mel at thestack.co> [2015-10-01 16:20:50 +1000]:
> > What's the story with password management in Qutebrowser? i.e.,
> > remembering them?
>
> There's currently an userscript in development which integrates with
> 'pass':
>
> https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/pull/873
>
> The author (which also is on this list, I believe) told me he wanted
> to work a bit more on it before merging, so it's not merged yet.
>
> As soon as there's plugin support in qutebrowser (which will still
> take a few months, unfortunately), I plan to write plugins to directly
> integrate KeePassX, pass, and probably others:
>
> https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/30
> https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/180
>
> > Also, some sites I use (basic challenge) "forget" my authentication
> > after some number of minutes - something I hadn't noticed in dwb and
> > certainly doesn't happen in FF.
>
> Dou you have a publicly accessible example somewhere? I never had any
> issues with Icinga, cups, and some other things.
>
> Also, what Qt version? (see :open qute:version)
>
> Florian

Hey Florian,

I'm on QT 5.5 (Arch Linux).

I don't have examples for my timeout problem, but the ones I've observed
are Windows web servers which initially present an NTLM challenge (work
garbage) and then fall-back to basic. I'll see what I can figure out
when I'm back in the office.

A userscript sounds perfectly fine for my password situation (until
plugins are available) so I'll take a look at adapting that one to my
needs.

As an aside, how should desktop notifications work from my perspective?
I answer "y" when an application requests access, but I don't seem to
see any notifications and refreshing the page requires me to enable
again.