This week's qutebrowser updates

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Dec 16 08:00:43 CET 2014

A few hours late this time, as I really had to get some sleep
yesterday when I remembered I should write this :P

First of all, the big news: qutebrowser v0.1 has been released[1]!

v0.1.1 will probably follow somewhen in the next few days, after the
bugs[2] found in v0.1 have been fixed.

I also posted about qutebrowser on reddit[3][4][5], with great
success: 7'800 views from 2'400 visitors on the Github repos, and
more than 100 people who cloned the repo.

Also, a week ago, Qt 5.4 has been released[6]. This release comes with
a lot of bugfixes related to qutebrowser/QtWebKit, e.g. the segfault
on flash videos has been fixed. It also fixes the POODLE
vulnerability[7][8] by turning off SSLv3, so I urge everyone to
upgrade. My packages with debugging symbols have been updated[9]. The
modified PKGBUILDs now live in a separate git repository[10].

Without further ado, here are the updates for the past week - it's
quite a bit as I basically worked full-time on qutebrowser for 5 days
:D

Overview
--------

Excluding merges, 3 authors have pushed 70 commits to master and 70
commits to all branches. On master, 161 files have changed and there
have been 15,269 additions and 11,081 deletions.

(note: these large numbers are because a lot of files have been moved)

2 Pull requests merged by 2 people
34 Issues closed by 1 person
24 Issues created by 3 people

https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/pulse/weekly

Features
--------

- Add a :quickmark-del command to delete quickmarks.
- Add hint target 'run' to execute a command based on a hint URL.
  Thanks to Johannes Altmanninger for this contribution!
- Add a qutebrowser icon.
  Thanks to WOFall for designing the icon!
- Add a cheatsheet picture.
  Thanks to regines for all the help with doing this!

Improvements
------------

- The escaping of = as <eq> in the config has been removed, as this
  shouldn't be needed anymore now that keybindings are in a separate
  config.
- Make init_venv.py more reliable on Windows.
- Various updates to the docs.
- Reduce URL width in statusbar if the commandline width increases.
- Add "Open" and "Retry" menu entries to downloads.
- Don't split arguments to :bind/:repeat/:later/:set-cmd-text to make
  them easier to use.
- Do reporting from crash dialog async in background.
- Also use the src html attribute in addition to href to resolve URLs.
  Thanks to Johannes Altmanninger for this contribution!

Bugfixes
--------

- Fix a rare exception related to downloads.
- Fix config interpolation with non-default values.
- Fix the text in the statusbar when e.g. entering insert mode while
  in passthrough mode.
- Save files like the config atomically, so no data gets destroyed if
  there is an error while writing it.
- Fix exception when closing a tab with failed downloads.
- Handle cookies/cache/command history correctly in por^H^Hrivate
  browsing mode.
- Set a minimum height for the statusbar.
- Fix width calculating of tabs.
- Fix checking for errors when a page is loaded.
- Handle exceptions regarding file-handling.
- Create inexistent paths when a config file gets written.
- Fix un-hiding of hints.
- Fix updating of completion when the text length is unchanged.
- Handle quotes in split=False commands correctly.
- Handle flags with args correctly with split=False.
- Fix starting without a config.
- Fix an exception when using hints with an invalid command.
- Fix a source of segfaults when clicking links or closing tabs after
  hinting.
- Fix whitespace stripping with split=False commands (e.g.
  :quickmark-load and tabbing)
- Allow non-ASCII characters in keychains.
- Fix updating of scroll position with gg/G/etc.
- Fix loading of renamed config sections (currently
  "permissions"/"content")
- Fix displaying of section/option config validation error message.
- Fix an exception when using aliased commands.
- Fix an exception when using :zoom with an argument.

Under the hood
--------------

- Replace IOErrors by OSErrors.
- Rename a lot of files.