[Postfixbuch-users] Fwd: rfc-ignorant.org End of an era

Peer Heinlein p.heinlein at heinlein-support.de
Sa Sep 15 16:11:56 CEST 2012

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	[RFCI-Discuss] End of an era
Datum: 	Sat, 15 Sep 2012 09:58:13 -0400
Von: 	Derek Balling <dredd at megacity.org>
Antwort an: 	Discussion about the RFC-Ignorant Project
<rfci-discuss at lists.megacity.org>
An: 	Discussion about the RFC-Ignorant Project
<rfci-discuss at lists.megacity.org>

Greetings, programs...

RFC-Ignorant.org <http://RFC-Ignorant.org> has had a long and storied
history. We celebrated our 12th anniversary a number of months ago.

I take it as something of a matter of pride that no matter how many
"Threats to call lawyers" we received over the years, we did not receive
(that I can recall anyway) a single actual letter from an attorney.
Twelve and a half years of "cartooney free" as it were. :-)

The environment has changed radically over the years, though. DNSBLs are
falling out of favor. Everyone is just shifting their mail handling into
centralized mail-handling systems like GMail, or Exchange, or Zimbra,
and the role of the DNSBL in making e-mail delivery decisions is greatly
diminished.  The increasing use of IPv6 also foretells a decreased
usefulness in DNSBLs going forward.

Further, there's been changes afoot over the years in organizations like
the IETF to actively attempt to marginalize what we do. For instance,
the changes to the WHOIS RFC a number of years ago came about as a
direct result of people trying to shut down that zone.

Maintaining the RFC-Ignorant.org <http://RFC-Ignorant.org> database is a
lot of work. Between vetting every submission, and the (much more
tedious) process of dealing with removal requests, it easily consumes
quite a bit of time.

But we're reaching a point where:

     - The usefulness of a DNSBL is greatly diminished
     - We are running on - literally - ancient hardware (A 1GHz
P3/Coppermine) which could really die at any time. It should have
died long ago if you think about it. The CPU itself is *at least* 12
years old.

I can't justify replacing the hardware. The value-proposition just isn't
there. Nor is it fair for me to extend the project and commit volunteer
resources to a labor of love that I can't be bothered with myself any more.

SO .. be it resolved as it were, that RFC-Ignorant.org
<http://RFC-Ignorant.org> is scheduling its own demise.

*Effective 9/15/2012* - All publicly visible DNS slaves have been
removed from the NS-set other than SONIC.NET <http://SONIC.NET>'s
primary RBL servers, a change that is percolating through DNS caches now
*Effective 9/20/2012* - we will no longer accept submissions of new domains
*Effective 9/30/2012* - All entries currently marked as "Listed" in the
databases will be marked as "Deprecated", which will cause them to not
generate DNSBL entries. This will, effectively, mean that lookups of any
domain in our database will always return "false", i.e., "clean".
*Effective 10/15/2012* - The rsync service for slaving of zones will be
shut down
*Effective 10/30/2012* - All sub zones will have their NS-set set to
"localhost.rfc-ignorant.org <http://localhost.rfc-ignorant.org>", with
lengthy TTLS, which will direct all DNS traffic back onto the server
requesting it.
*Effective 11/30/2012* - The root NS set for "rfc-ignorant.org
<http://rfc-ignorant.org>" will be deleted entirely, preventing any
resolution

We want to thank everyone who's been a supporter of us over the years.
It's been an interesting ride to say the least. But I do have to give a
couple particular shout-outs:

     *Ralf Hildebrandt* - As I mentioned, RFCI takes a LOT of time to
maintain. I ran out of said time years ago, but Ralf stepped in and has
been handling day to day operations of vetting submissions, and handling
removal requests, sending over to me only the most "tricky" or
"edge-case" issues.  Without Ralf's help, we would never have made it to
our 10 year anniversary let alone 12+.

     *Kelsey Cummings* at Sonic.net <http://Sonic.net> - When we were
looking for a home, Kelsey stepped up in a big way, and got us a great
deal on cabinet space, network connectivity, and provided a shelter for
us as a DNSBL that made things a lot easier to handle. At the very
least, we knew that our colo provider "got" the DNSBL thing, and wasn't
going to be easily scared away if someone had tried to complain about us
to our upstream provider. :-)   Sonic.net <http://Sonic.net> have been
GREAT to us over the years, and I can recommend them highly enough.

Thanks again to everyone for a great ride.

Cheers,
Derek