Migration to C++ (?)

Christian Dietrich stettberger at dokucode.de
Tue Jul 22 13:48:56 CEST 2014

Zsolt Udvari <udvzsolt at gmail.com> writes:

> So boost is only buildtime-dependency everytime?

It depends on the part of boost you're using. But many boost components
are only a build dependency. Because they are templates, which are
always located in the header files. libboost1.54-dev consists of 1.8
million lines of headers in 9447 files. These headers contain nearly all
all of boost and the package does depend only on the C++STL. Be aware,
that in those 2 million lines of templates for example a full parser
generator is included.

So, perhaps is boost a big library (91mb of headers) on the developers
machine, but not on the users one.

And another note, because it seems for me that some people think boost
is here to replace the STL. Boost is the playground for the C++
developers. Many of the features we nowerdays love in C++11 were
implemented and tested before in boost. If you're interessted in this,
search for C++ technical report 1[1].

chris

BTW: I do not like boost very much either, I just wanted to clarify the
     confusion a little bit.

[1] http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/?view=filtered_std-tr1