[Gen-Streitfall] EU REJECTS US-LED TRADE CHALLENGE ON GMOS (Reuters)

Martin Sundermann Martin.Sundermann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fr Aug 8 11:02:35 CEST 2003

EU REJECTS US-LED TRADE CHALLENGE ON GMOS
August 8, 2003
Reuters
BRUSSELS - European Commission spokeswoman Beate Gminder was quoted as
telling a daily news briefing Friday that "We very much regret this
decision," referring to the United States' decision to launch a trade suit
against the EU's refusal to accept most genetically modified organisms
(GMOs), adding, "It has not yet been decided whether the WTO will set up a
panel, but we think that our system of GMO authorisation is clear,
transparent and non-discriminatory and complies with WTO rules."