[FoME] ISD Forschung zu russischer Propaganda und Desinformation im Netz

Sofie Jannusch Sofie.Jannusch at CAMECO.ORG
Mo Mär 14 09:47:20 CET 2022

>>> ISD<info at isdglobal.org> 14.03.2022 06:59 >>>
 ISD's ongoing work on the Russia/Ukraine conflict, and more.

View this email in your browser

The ISD team has been mobilising its counter-disinformation operation around the unfolding human tragedy in Ukraine, which will shape our geopolitical landscape for decades to come.

 We are providing continuous analysis across our areas of expertise, focusing on the spread of disinformation on TikTok, Facebook and Telegram, while also identifying pro-Kremlin influence operations on Twitter. Our CEO, Sasha Havlicek, joined Sky News' 'The Great Debate' discussing the Ukraine/Russia conflict, while Julia Smirnova helped POLITICO understand how Telegram has become a central hub for Russian state narratives, and Ciaran O'Connor spoke to AP News about his research on pro-Kremlin disinformation on TikTok.

RESEARCH RECAP

Russia state-controlled media floods TikTok with Ukraine disinformation
 A new investigation from ISD can reveal that TikTok is forming a crucial part of the Kremlin’s disinformation apparatus as state-controlled and affiliated accounts are chased off of other mainstream platforms.

More here

German-language conspiracy content on the Russian invasion of Ukraine
 As Russian authorities attempt to regain control of the war narrative, ISD found an increase in disinformation among right-wing extremists and COVID-19 conspiracy groups on Facebook and Telegram.

More here

Hate and harassment during the 2021 German federal elections
 ISD Germany joined with Hate Aid to monitor the extent of hateful, sexist and racist statements against 60 candidates for the Bundestag). Read it in German below.

More here

Two down, how many more to go? Spotting the next pro-Kremlin influence operation
 Two pro-Kremlin hashtags have the hallmarks of an influence operation masquerading as a grassroots social movement. How can understanding their structure help us detect future operations?

More here

The problem with preprints
 Academic preprint papers have become a vector for vaccine misinformation. Aoife Gallagher identified a viral preprint paper promoting anti-vaxx narratives-- 'proof' the anti-vaxx community has been waiting for. Although it will likely never be peer-reviewed, it seems the damage may already be done.

More here

Conspiracy clickbait networks seize opportunity to run 'Freedom convoy' Facebook groups
 ISD explores fake Facebook groups being run for profit from foreign countries that claim to be part of the 'Freedom Convoy' protest movement.

More here

ISD NEWS

Join us this Wednesday at 5pm CET for a webinar exploring questions around extremism, deradicalisation and what side-switching extremists can teach about breaking vicious cycles. Registration is open here.

Jennie King talks to Stop Funding Heat about the latest trends in climate mis- and disinformation, and ISD's unprecedented efforts during COP26 monitoring threats against the climate summit in real-time, in partnership with CASM technology and 10 other organisations.

Join us for an SCN webinar this 17 March at 2 pm GMT, exploring how cities can engage their citizens in democratic processes and conversations, especially in the context of foreign influence and harmful interferences in national and local elections. For more information click here.

Last call for our final session of the Be Internet Citizens programme with YouTube in partnership with Kate Daniels (PSHE Education)!

 This online training provides educators with tools to help young people develop their media literacy and critical thinking – empowering the next generation of digital citizens navigating the web. Sign-ups are open to all teachers, educators, youth workers, and anyone interested in taking part in the programme.

ISD IN THE MEDIA

ISD's CEO Sasha Havlicek joined Sky News' 'The Great Debate' during primetime as a panelist, debating the question: Can the West stop Vladimir Putin? Sasha talks about the recent “seeds for hope” in pushing back against Putin, if the West "can sustain it."

Ciarán O'Connor talks to AP News about the significance of TikTok in Russia's propaganda war and why it's considered to be at the forefront of the battle for the narrative behind the invasion.

ISD analyst and Russia expert Julia Smirnova speaks with POLITICO on how far-right activity on Telegram has increasingly consisted of sharing of content from now-banned RT.

In an interview for the Independent, Milo Comerford and Jacob Davey comment on the social effects COVID-19 will likely have after the pandemic in extremist, conspiracy groups.

VACANCIES

Join our team to counter hate, extremism and disinformation on a global scale

 ISD is seeking exceptional applicants for an HR manager for our US office and an interim Operations Manager, as well as a Director of Project Operations for a 12-month contract, both for our global team.  If you would like to know more about upcoming opportunities or submit a speculative application, please visit our careers portal below.

New ISD vacancies

SUPPORT OUR WORK

Help ISD safeguard democracy

 We have been committed to the fight against hate, extremism, polarisation and disinformation for nearly 15 years and it's all thanks to support from people like you. As an independent, non-profit organisation, our work is reliant on grants and donations to stay on the forefront of analysing and responding to threats to democracy in all their forms.

 By donating to ISD, your contribution will ensure we can continue to analyse, advise, and act to create stronger, more cohesive societies. Join us by donating at the link below.

Donate now

 Twitter

 LinkedIn

 Facebook

 Website

Copyright © Institute for Strategic Dialogue (2022). Institute for Strategic Dialogue (ISD) is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales with company registration number 06581421 and registered charity number 1141069. Registered office address: PO Box 75769, London, SW1P 9ER, United Kingdom. All rights reserved.