[FoME] Nachricht neues Journalism Award

Maria Paz Lopez Rodriguez mariapaz at lavanguardia.es
Mo Nov 18 09:52:45 CET 2019

Liebe Koordinatoren der FoME Mailingliste:

Wäre es möglich, diese Ansage mit der Liste zu teilen, bitte? Ich würde sehr dankbar.

Vielen Dank im Voraus!

Schöne Grüsse,

María-Paz López

…………………………………………………

NEW RELIGION JOURNALISM AWARD FOR JOURNALISTS BASED IN EUROPE AND THE MEDITERRANEAN BASIN

My name is María-Paz López, and I am the foreign correspondent in Berlin of Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia www.lavanguardia.es<http://www.lavanguardia.es/> I am also a Board director at the International Association of Religion Journalists (IARJ) www.theiarj.org<http://www.theiarj.org/>, and it’s in this second capacity that I am addressing this forum. Please allow me to proceed in English.

The IARJ is not a confessional organization, nor a group of religious journalists, but a professional journalistic association devoted to enhance the religion beat worldwide, and whose members may or may not be believers of a particular religion. The association is best described by our mission statement:

“The International Association of Religion Journalists (IARJ) is a global network of journalists promoting excellence in the coverage of religion and spirituality. It provides services and resources to strengthen and support the work of its members. It engages media leaders, educational institutions and communities on the importance of accurate, balanced, and ethical religion coverage to foster understanding.”

I would like to draw your attention to this new journalism award, and to kindly ask you to disseminate the information below through your organizations or to forward it to journalists that may have an interest in submitting entries to the contest.

The IARJ together with the Italian institute Fondazione per le Scienze Religiose Giovanni XXIII (FSCIRE) http://www.fscire.it/index.php/en/ have launched a new journalism award for journalists based in Europe and in the Mediterranean basin, the Piazza Grande Journalism Award, of which I am the coordinator.

The new award will be presented to its winner annually in the framework of the European Academy of Religion https://www.europeanacademyofreligion.org/euare2020,

The amount of the award, fully funded by the FSCIRE, is 2,500 euros. The deadline for submissions is 28th February 2020, and the works submitted must have been published between 1st January 2019 and 31st December 2019.

The goal of the award is to encourage the journalistic coverage of religion on the field, through work with a wide range of sources, portraying peace and conflict, dialogue and interfaith issues, and the most varied intersections of religion with politics, public life, culture and the arts, society and history, at local, regional or international level.

It is not necessary for applicants to be full-time religion reporters, as long as the story submitted has a relevant religion component.

Articles can be in any official language of Europe and the Mediterranean basin, but the submission must include a faithful translation in English or in French.

Here you can find brief description of the award and the online entry form for submissions: https://www.theiarj.org/contest/

Here you can find the FAQs about the award: https://www.theiarj.org/frequently-asked-questions-piazza-grande-religion-journalism-award/

Here you can find the IARJ news story about the launching of the award in Bologna last March: https://www.theiarj.org/blog/2019/03/04/iarj-and-fscire-announce-new-piazza-grande-religion-journalism-award-for-european-and-mediterranean-journalists/

Here a video of my speech of presentation of the award at the inauguration ceremony of the annual conference of the EuropeanAcademy of Religion (EuARe) in Bologna, last March: https://twitter.com/eu_are/status/1103003525536198667?s=20

Should you have further questions, please contact me at mpazlopez at theiarj.org<mailto:mpazlopez at theiarj.org>

Thank you very much in advance.

Best wishes!

María-Paz López