[FoME] Anti-corruption, crisis response, conflict transformation: new articles on #mediadev

Alexander Matschke alexander.matschke at dw.com
Mi Mai 22 15:04:31 CEST 2019

Dear colleagues,

Please let me draw your attention to four articles recently published on
#mediadev, DW Akademie's online resource providing insight and analysis
around the topics of freedom of expression, media freedom and digital
rights in international development cooperation.

https://dw.com/mediadev

Kind regards

Alexander Matschke

Anti-corruption: Investing in investigation

In the fight against corruption, free media is crucial. It exposes
malpractice and enables citizens to demand change. Despite the decline of
global press freedom, the media’s power to curb corruption can be
harnessed.

https://www.dw.com/en/investing-in-investigation/a-48462664

Social media and crisis response: The power of the crowd in emergencies

Social media is an increasingly vital tool for crisis response as
non-profit organizations use it to save lives and help those in need. But
its power to spread information means social media can escalate crises
too.

https://www.dw.com/en/saving-lives-with-social-media-the-power-of-the-crowd-in-emergencies/a-48305661

Guest post: Internet addiction isn't the problem, it's the symptom

If we want technology that values well-being over engagement, we need to
rebuild trust between users and tech companies.

https://www.dw.com/en/internet-addiction-isnt-the-problem-its-the-symptom/a-48278732

Interview: How the media can contribute to conflict transformation

Observer, activist, target: the media can play various roles in conflicts.
Can they also help to bring peace?

https://www.dw.com/en/how-the-media-can-contribute-to-conflict-transformation/a-47179412

Alexander Matschke
Policy and Concepts