[FoME] New volume of fesmedia series out now! Texting, Tweeting, Mobile Internet - New Platforms for Democratic Debate in Africa - by Tom Sarrazin

Blanka Balfer blanka at fesmedia.org
Mi Jul 27 14:24:08 CEST 2011

Dear all,

fesmedia Africa, the media project of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) in
Africa, is working towards a political, legal and regulatory framework for
the media in African countries, based on human rights law, relevant
protocols of the African Union and SADC declarations or other regional
standards. Our office is based in Windhoek, Namibia.

Today we would like to present you the latest volume of our

 fesmedia Africa series: Texting, Tweeting, Mobile Internet - New Platforms
for Democratic Debate in Africa

New media platforms are changing how people communicate with each other
around the world. However, there is great variation in both the kind of

communication platforms people make use of as well as in how they access
these platforms. Computer ownership and internet access are still the
prerogative of

the wealthy few in wide swathes of the African continent. All the same,
mobile internet access is on the rise and if current growth rates continue,
African mobile

phone penetration will reach 100 per cent by 2014.

The booklet is also available on our website:

http://fesmedia.org/fileadmin/files-fesmedia.org/fesmedia_Africa_series/Sarr
azin__New_Media_Platforms_2011.pdf

Regards,

Blanka Balfer