[FoME] DFID Governance & Transparency Fund

Christoph Dietz christoph.dietz at CAMECO.ORG
Mo Mär 26 12:35:16 CEST 2007

London, 22 February 2007
Department for International Development (DFID), http://www.dfid.gov.uk

Secretary of State for International Development, Hilary Benn, launched
the criteria for the £100m Governance and Transparency Fund (GTF) ... He
emphasised:

“Good governance is about people and governments working together *
it’s about governments being capable of doing the things that their
people want; governments being accountable to their people for what they
do, and governments responding to what their people want.

I hope this Fund, along with all the other work we do to support
countries improve governance and strengthen democratic processes, will
contribute to this because the best way to end poverty is for developing
countries to do it themselves * after all that’s how we did it
here”

Who and what will the GTF support?
The GTF will award grants of between £750,000 and £5 million over
between 3 and 5 years to a wide range of organisations, across the globe
and not just those based in the UK, including:

- Media groups campaigning for free speech;
- Women’s groups demanding greater rights for women in public life;
- Faith groups fighting for their right to practice their religion
peacefully;
- Trade Unions championing decent pay and working conditions;
- Pro-Democracy groups who seek to strengthen the Parliamentary
process; and
- NGOs.

Further information on the Governance and Transparency Fund:
http://www.dfid.gov.uk/consultations/gtf-guidelines.pdf