[smartmontools-support] smartmontools on Ubuntu

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Mon May 27 15:28:50 CEST 2024

Thane K. Sherrington via Smartmontools-support wrote:
> I often use a Live USB of Ubuntu for data recovery, hard drive testing
> (especially since the current Windows NVME driver prevents smartctl
> from properly testing the drive).  However; when I do an apt install
> smartmontools I get 6.2.  Is there a way to get the current version?

For rescue purposes I would recommend Grml (https://grml.org/). The
recent 2024.02 image (~900MB only) is based on Debian trixie and
includes smartmontools 7.4 and other useful rescue tools like ddrescue
and sleuthkit (istat, ifind, ffind, ...). See [1] for a real world use
case of these tools.

--
Regards,
Christian