[smartmontools-support] smartd and windows

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Sat Oct 21 13:42:19 CEST 2023

Thane K. Sherrington wrote:
> Hello All,
>     Where does smartd store output in Windows?  I want run smartd on
> Windows 10 and 11 computers, and monitor the log file to generate
> warnings.

By default, smartd syslog output is sent to the Windows event log. This
is the usual output for windows services. Run "eventvwr.msc" from
console to start the event viewer. The messages from source "smartd"
appear in section "Application".

With option '-l local0', output is written to smartd.log in the install
directory. To use this, install the service with:
   smartd install -l local0
See section '-l FACILITY' on smartd manual page for details.

You may want to add something like '-m console -M daily -M test' to
smartd.conf. Then each warning "email" will appear as a message box. See
section '-m ADD' on smartd.conf manual page for details.

Regards,
Christian