[smartmontools-support] Macos/OSX SAS support

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Mon May 1 20:59:59 CEST 2023

I'm wondering if this is a smartmon question or deeper in the OS, but is there
a solution to being able to pull SMART info from SAS disks in OSX?

I have an ATTO SAS controller and it's been stable running with the disks for
some time, and using SATA disks in the expander I have attached to it works
fine with smartmon, but SAS disks are a no-go.  As I'm moving the expander
into the closet and using a 100m optical cable to interconnect it, SATA disks
are not going to work as they are half-duplex and they have no concept of
latency on the interconnect cable.

Moving to the SAS controller from SATA also gave me a 3x performance boot with
the same SATA disks.

Thanks,
--
Bryan Fields