[smartmontools-support] RaspbianOS kernel-6.1.9 problem

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Mon Feb 6 11:45:42 CET 2023

James wrote:
> I upgraded my RasperryPi to kernel-6.1.9 and smartctl doesn't work on
> my nvme (in a USB enclosure) anymore.

Did you upgrade smartmontools (or database) also or only the kernel?

> $ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb
> smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [armv7l-linux-6.1.9-v7l+] (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
> www.smartmontools.org
>
> Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported field in scsi command

This message suggests that the device is now detected as SATA, not as NVMe.

Please provide the USB Id of the device.
Which option did work in the past: '-d sntrealtek' or '-d sntjmicron' ?

Is UAS transfer mode used?
At least for USB->SATA bridges there are related issues:
https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/SAT-with-UAS-Linux