[smartmontools-support] Compiling smartctl on Windows

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Wed Apr 27 18:49:06 CEST 2022

Eaton Zveare wrote:
> Hi Christian, the line endings/format are correct in the files I have.
> I did not need to make changes.
> I made the int128 change and it actually made no difference. Digging
> deeper, I found that I also had to remove these defines:
>
>   * HAVE_UNISTD_H
>   * HAVE_ATTR_PACKED
>
> Only then did VS 2022 finally compile. You didn't have to remove those
> defines to get it to work?

Correct. The sed script in the Makefile should remove these during copy from
   .../smartmontools/vctmp/config.h
   .../smartmontools/os_win32/vc16/config.h

Try to diff both files.

Because newer 'sed' versions no longer implicitly convert input files to
LF, this currently only works if the original config.h has already LF
line endings.

I only tested with Cygwin, so this might also be a MSYS specific problem.