[smartmontools-support] Unbreaking Seagate UAS smart reporting at the kernel level

Nathan Stratton Treadway nathanst at ontko.com
Thu May 6 21:09:23 CEST 2021

On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 16:19:30 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >   2) would there be a way for the UAS driver to somehow drop back to
> >      some usb-storage-like USB communication in order to send the
> >      SAT-pass through command to the drive?

[...]>
> But this would be a lot of work and very hacky and probably also a bit
> fragile. SO IMHO this is just not worth the trouble.
> If people want this fixef they should ask Seagate to provide firmware updates
> for their enclosures to fix this on the end where the bug actually is.

Thanks for the detailed explanation regarding the internal workings at
the USB level.

One related question: do you have any sense, from a USB-developer point
of view, how other OSes (e.g. the *BSDs) handle these problems?

(I don't use non-Linux myself, but as far as I have seen here these
issues [SAT-with-UAS generally and Seagate device blacklists
specifically] don't get mentioned in the context of other operating
systems, even though Smartmontools is used there...)

							Nathan