[smartmontools-support] Getting smartctl for ESXi/VMWare

Schorschi Decker schorschi at dc.rr.com
Wed Mar 31 05:08:03 CEST 2021

ESXi is a very limited API implementation due to its memory state
design.  To implement any VIM (VMware Installation Module) for ESXi,
takes extensive knowledge of its internal structure as well as access to
explicit VMware documentation, i.e. you need to be a VMware partner if
not a VMware contributor, and that is big $$$ expense to gain access to
such.  VIMs are really oriented to driver deployment and integration to
ESXi only.  Not to say that VIM methodology is not abused by some
vendors, but VMware does its best to strongly discourage this practice.
The only exception I know of is health and welfare monitoring
components, i.e. HP, Dell, IBM get special approval for their
'management' agents to be created as VIMs.  Which VMware explicitly
reviews, tests and certifies internally, before any vendor is allow to
publish same to customers.

Moreover, ESXi already has extensive monitoring explicitly designed to
integrate to vSphere vCenter in a production environment for such.  With
vSAN becoming the norm for may production installations, the actual
storage monitoring is NOT done by ESXi self but by the vSAN nodes
themselves... which are ESXi based but actually are not fully ESXi, in
that the ESXi core that supports vSAN was not expected (in production)
to host VMs. It is only in non-production lab environments, that
stacking vSAN and VM hosting on the same instance of ESXi is even
remotely allowed, and is NOT supported by VMware per se, but more of a
known kludge done in labs environments.

ESX not ESXi, had a stronger Linux heritage, and there were some
overlaps with Linux, you could even load 'some' Linux components into
ESX if you where careful, but wtih ESXi that all changed.  It is simply
a convention of ESXi driver structure and supporting code modeling that
still appears to be Linux like, VMware did not want to recreate the
wheel so they took many 'forms' of Linux design for their own unique
use, given their history with ESX before ESXi.  This why you see
references that suggest Linux, but I can assure you, that is not the
case as you get deeper specifically into ESXi.  And, last, VMware
repeats in their documentation, that ESXi is constantly changing,
internally, so never assume from one version to the next, that ESXi will
retain any API calls at all for backwards compatibility, once VMware
determines a given API call is depreciated, per their need, it
effectively disappears, once official support closes for given version
of ESXi.

If you get the feeling I know a lot about VIMs... I do, I did ESX, and
later, ESXi VIM integration testing, and VMware based infrastructure
design, for a fortune 50 firm for more than 15 years.  Some of the most
interesting work I did over a 30 year plus IT career.

-DD