[smartmontools-support] Extended test doesn't catch CurrentPendingSector and OfflineUncorrectableSector errors

Dipanjan Das mail.dipanjan.das at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 08:27:14 CEST 2021

Hi Christian,

Sorry for the late reply. Lately I got caught up with something else.

On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 at 10:40, Christian Franke <Christian.Franke at t-online.de>
wrote:

> Operating 24/7 for 6+ years ?
> I would suggest to replace this drive :-)

Guess what, I did it :-) However, when I did an extended smart scan on the
new drive, it reported very high value of  Raw_Read_Error_Rate (see below).
I understand the raw value is not normalized. Still wondering if such a
high value is "normal".

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED
 WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   080   065   006    Pre-fail  Always
    -       102904280

> After command completion occurred, registers were:
> > ER -- ST COUNT  LBA_48  LH LM LL DV DC
> > -- -- -- == -- == == == -- -- -- -- --
> > 40 -- 51 00 80 00 e7 33 00 81 52 40 00  Error: UNC at LBA =
> > 0xe733008152 = 992993116498
>
> This firmware uses the wrong byte order in this error log. Please retry
> with
>    smartctl -l xerror -F xerrorlba ...
>
> This may result in "LBA = 0xe7813352 = 3884004178" which then matches
> the LBA from the self-test log. This is possibly the
> Current_Pending_Sector.

You're right. The correction flag resolved the issue. Thanks a lot. It
makes sense now.

--

Thanks & Regards,
Dipanjan