[smartmontools-support] Incorrect Drive Wearout Indicator on WD Blue SSD

Daniel Hellstern dhellstern at outlook.com
Sat Jan 30 01:00:16 CET 2021

Hi there,

I'm getting what I think is an incorrect drive wearout indicator on a relatively new WD Blue 2TB WDS200T2B0A-00SM50 SSD. While I'm not entirely sure where the problem exists, the indicator shows 1% wearout, which sounds correct if the scale is 0-100%. However, from what I can tell drives are supposed to report in 100-0% (based on the other SSDs I've tested), which is making it difficult to parse this with my monitoring tools that expect this format. I filed an issue on GitHub in September (https://github.com/v-zhuravlev/zbx-smartctl/issues/148) with the monitoring tool, who said it was a SMART issue and to check if it can be resolved by smartmontools or the drive manufacturer. However, WD wasn't very useful because they don't officially support the drive under Linux, and I don't really have a way to use their Windows tool at the moment. Am I correct in assuming that the indicator should be standardized to the 100-0% scale, and if so is this an error in smartmontools or the drive firmware, and are there any workarounds?

Best,
Danny