[smartmontools-support] NVMe support in smartmontools

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Thu Feb 18 15:21:28 CET 2021

Nirmal Sarkar wrote:

> I started using *smartmontools-7.2-rc1* [smartctl] to explore on the
> SSD drive I am having. It's an NVMe type.

We never released any 7.2-rc1. Which package for which platform do you mean?

> Using smartctl I can't perform any operations like - to test the
> harddrive [for long/short], to see self-test results etc. It results -
> "NVMe device successfully opened."

NVMe devices with self-tests support did not exist in the early days of
smartctl NVMe support (2016). The ability to start NVMe self-tests will
possibly be added to smartctl 7.3:
https://www.smartmontools.org/ticket/894

> I can't even see if smart capability is enabled or not using 'smartctl
> -i <disk>'.

Like SCSI/SAS, NVMe differs considerably from ATA/SATA an so does
smartctl output. NVMe standards do not specify a SMART capability which
could be enabled or disabled.

> Does *smartmontools* support all features for NVMe ? If yes - which
> version should I use ?

No - and likely never will :-)

Regards,
Christian