[smartmontools-support] Getting smartctl for ESXi/VMWare

Schorschi Decker schorschi at dc.rr.com
Thu Apr 1 18:24:12 CEST 2021

Just for those that may read this thread in the future...

ESXi uses its own internal API.  Driver developers have access to this
API (at a big $$$ expense).  This is by design, to ensure that only
VMware qualified hardware vendors  develop drivers for ESXi.  There is
no other option via VMware policy.

So, are their drivers for many SCSI adapters, yes, but only when the
given SCSI adapter vendor is officially contributing such VIMs.  There
is a dedicated website where you can query VMware for which hardware
components, servers, storage solutions, etc., are supported by ESXi for
a given version of ESXi.

The monitoring of ESXi, its storage, etc.  Is all focused on what
vSphere vCenter supports.  This is also by design... if you have any
production ESXi hosts, you are very strongly encouraged to use vCenter.
This is why VMware offers vSphere including vCenter, as the production
standard for using ESXi.

There is no open-source, or even 3rd party solutions that are not
qualified and certified by VMware.  Only VMware deployed VIMs via their
official VIM repo are published and supported.  No other repos are
qualified by the VMware ESXi repo.  ESXi is a closed system, will always
be a closed system, because stability and security of ESXi are paramount
per VMware.

Not an VMware associate, just passing on experience and knowledge as a
long term associate, retired, of a very long term customer of VMware.

-Schor