[smartmontools-support] Getting SSD attribute Raw values on Illumos/Solaris

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Sat May 30 11:34:21 CEST 2020

Thommandra Gowtham wrote:
> It doesn't work with '-d sat'. Is there any other way we can get the
> raw attributes? Because we are able to query the same disk using
> smartctl on Ubuntu.

Different OS, different story :-)

> # smartctl -d sat -a /dev/rdsk/c11t0d0s0
> smartctl 7.1 2019-12-30 r5022 [i386-pc-solaris2.11] (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-19, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
> www.smartmontools.org <http://www.smartmontools.org>
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Device Model:     SQF-S25M8-128G-S8C
> Serial Number:    FF3607431CAB00091656
> Firmware Version: S8FM06A7
> User Capacity:    128,035,676,160 bytes [128 GB]
> Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
> Rotation Rate:    Solid State Device
> Form Factor:      2.5 inches
> Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
> ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS (minor revision not indicated)
> SATA Version is:  SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s
> Local Time is:    Fri May 29 18:45:43 2020 PDT
> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
> SMART support is: Enabled
>
> Read SMART Data failed: scsi error aborted command
>
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Status command failed: scsi error aborted command
> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: UNKNOWN!
> SMART Status, Attributes and Thresholds cannot be read.
>
> Read SMART Log Directory failed: scsi error aborted command
>
> Read SMART Error Log failed: scsi error aborted command
>
> Read SMART Self-test Log failed: scsi error aborted command

Is the drive behind some non-standard controller (non-AHCI, RAID,
virtual machine, ...) ?

The output suggests that the OS implements the SCSI command SAT ATA
PASS-THROUGH, but limited to ATA IDENTIFY command. Such a limitation
cannot be fixed by smartmontools.

Please address the question to the maintainer of the Illumos/Solaris
smartmontools package or to Illumos issue tracker.

Thanks,
Christian