[smartmontools-support] scheduled self tests

serando serando at sunrise.ch
Sat Jul 18 21:17:13 CEST 2020

Hello,

I want to use smartmontools on a PC and not on a server, that runs all day.
My PC does not run all day at the same time. It's very different. So
when a test is scheduled to run daily at 2:00 P.M., it can be, that my
PC is off at that time, but maybe I turn on my PC at 4:00 P.M on that
day. Nevertheless I want that the test is performed on this day.

When I use the command ...
/dev/sda -a -d sat -o on -S on -s (S/../.././09) -m root -M exec
/usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner

... then the short self-test will run daily at 9:00 A.M.

Question:
What happens, when the PC is off at 9:00 A.M.
But when I turn it on at 12:00 A.M.?

A) The test will not be performed on that day.
B) The test will be performed as soon as the PC is turned on.

I have not found the answer of this question in "man". Did I miss it?

If A) is the right answer: This is not what I want to have.

Would appreciate some answer. Thank you.

With kind regards
Serando