[smartmontools-support] recovered read error?

Nathan Stratton Treadway nathanst at ontko.com
Tue Jan 21 14:45:31 CET 2020

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 14:08:36 +0100, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> Can someone tell me how to read this?
> was the sector at LBA 3519351244 remapped and now working properly ?
> I haven't see an output similar to this. Should I do something ?

Other parts of the "smartctl -x" output will tell you if any sectors
have been remapped, or if the drive is "worried" about any sectors
(Reallocated_Sector_Ct, Current_Pending_Sector, etc.).

>From your self-test output it does appear that LBA 3519351244 is now
readable, and thus was either overwritten cleanly or remapped at some
point after the failed test.  And the extended tests are all succeeding,
indicated no other sectors are unreadable now, so if the other stats
also look good there's probably nothing special to "do"... but it's
certainly worth checking the other stats closely (and watching them over
time) to make sure this wasn't a hint of some broader problem.

(For example, it might be possible to have a a failing spot on the disk
which the drive is able to work around by remapping sectors, but if that
failing spot is growing then eventually it will run out of sectors to
remap...)

						Nathan