[smartmontools-support] Seagate Expansion 2TB

Paulo Flabiano Smorigo pfsmorigo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 16:03:10 CEST 2019

Hello,

I just bought a Seagate Expansion 2TB external drive and the
vendor/product ID is listed as 1TB [1]. Furthermore, if I use -d sat I
still get an error:

$ sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb: Unknown USB bridge [0x0bc2:0x231a (0x710)]
Please specify device type with the -d option.

$ sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sdb -d sat
Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported field in scsi command
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or
more '-T permissive' options.

How can I fix it? Any help is appreciated!

[1] https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Supported_USB-Devices

--
P. F. Smorigo