[smartmontools-support] Cannot read SMART data on Raspberry Pi, All good on Windows using different tools

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Wed May 29 07:05:55 CEST 2019

Ertan Küçükoğlu wrote:
> You are correct. I could start a short test and get results when I add "-d sat" parameter on top of my previous trials.
> -----
> root at raspberrypi:~# smartctl -d sat -a /dev/sda

Please note that -a does only include legacy SMART logs, use -x to see
newer logs (or -x -a to see both).

> smartctl 6.6 2016-05-31 r4324 [armv7l-linux-4.19.42-v7+] (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Device Model:     CHN mSATAM3 128
>
> SMART Error Log Version: 1
> Warning: ATA error count 0 inconsistent with error log pointer 3

Looks like a (harmless) drive firmware bug.

> Error -4 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 0 hours (0 days + 0 hours)

The -4 is a result of the above inconsistency.

>    When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.
>
>    After command completion occurred, registers were:
>    ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
>    -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>    00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>
>    Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
>    CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
>    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------
>    b0 d0 01 00 4f c2 00 00      00:00:00.000  SMART READ DATA

This bogus entry does not indicate an actual error.

> Would someone explain what that "Error -4" means? I cannot be sure is if reported error is something important. I do not even now what it mean.

See above. Try 'smartctl -x' or 'smartctl -l xerror' to show the newer
error log.

For USB connected SATA disks, smartctl should normally detect the USB Id
under Linux. This apparently does not work on this system.

The detection heuristics for /dev/sdX works as follows: Starting with
directory symlinked by /sys/block/sdX/device, parent directories are
searched for idVendor, idProduct and bcdDevice files. A typical result is:

$ ls -1 /sys/block/sda/device/../../../../{bcd,id}*
/sys/block/sda/device/../../../../bcdDevice
/sys/block/sda/device/../../../../idProduct
/sys/block/sda/device/../../../../idVendor

If found, the USB Id is read from these files.  Do such files exist on
your system? Try

$ find /sys -name idVendor

Thanks,
Christian