[smartmontools-support] smartctl with -d sntjmicron

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Thu Mar 28 20:59:41 CET 2019

Thomas wrote:
> Thanks for all the amazing work you do on smartmontools.

You're welcome.

> I have been using an IcyBox USB to NVMe bridge (JMS583 controller) and
> smartctl told me to try '-d sntjmicron' and report result to:
> smartmontools-support  at listi.jpberlin.de, so I am reporting results
> as requested.
>
> On Windows 10, this works perfectly (the SSD is an Intel 660p 1TB) for
> smartctl -i and smartctl -a.

Thanks to all for the positive feedback. I guess we could eventually
enable auto detection of this USB bridge to the drive database.

Meantime, a local drive database entry could be added.

> On Mac OS, this fails with /dev/sdb: Type 'sntjmicron': Not a device
> of type ‘scsi’.

This is as expected. Mac OS does not provide the SCSI pass-through
functionality which is required for 'sntjmicron', 'sat' and 'usb*'
device types.
See https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/USB

Thanks,
Christian