[smartmontools-support] How to know disk node number in Smart Raid Card ( HPE Server )

hyuntak.lee at sk.com hyuntak.lee at sk.com
Fri Sep 7 09:29:01 CEST 2018

Hello,

I am trying to get S.M.A.R.T information in HPE Server ( ProLiant DL380 Gen10, HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 ) ( it uses “smartpqi” driver, not “hpsa” )

I know, I have to use “-d cciss” option but, I am not sure, how to get a disk node. I just input random number to ‘N’, like 0 ~5 ( smartctl -a -d cciss,N /dev/sdX ), and Fortunately I can get a SMART info,

It looks like, disk slot order, but I am not sure.

Can you tell me how to get a disk node number, or what is that exactly mean?

P.S I refer “http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man4/cciss.4.html” this web site, and I find this

         /dev/cciss/c0d0         Controller 0, disk 0, whole device
           /dev/cciss/c0d0p1       Controller 0, disk 0, partition 1
           /dev/cciss/c0d0p2       Controller 0, disk 0, partition 2
           /dev/cciss/c0d0p3       Controller 0, disk 0, partition 3

           /dev/cciss/c1d1         Controller 1, disk 1, whole device
           /dev/cciss/c1d1p1       Controller 1, disk 1, partition 1
           /dev/cciss/c1d1p2       Controller 1, disk 1, partition 2
           /dev/cciss/c1d1p3       Controller 1, disk 1, partition 3

But, In my server, I can’t find that.

[root at localhost ~]# smartctl -a /dev/
Display all 183 possibilities? (y or n)
autofs              full                lp2                 ptp3                sg4                 tty15               tty32               tty5                ttyS0               vcsa1
block/              fuse                lp3                 pts/                sg5                 tty16               tty33               tty50               ttyS1               vcsa2
bsg/                hidraw0             mapper/             random              sg6                 tty17               tty34               tty51               ttyS2               vcsa3
btrfs-control       hidraw1             mcelog              raw/                sg7                 tty18               tty35               tty52               ttyS3               vcsa4
bus/                hidraw2             mei0                rtc                 sg8                 tty19               tty36               tty53               uhid                vcsa5
centos/             hidraw3             mem                 rtc0                shm/                tty2                tty37               tty54               uinput              vcsa6
char/               hpet                mqueue/             sda                 snapshot            tty20               tty38               tty55               urandom             vfio/
console             hpilo/              net/                sdb                 snd/                tty21               tty39               tty56               usbmon0             vga_arbiter
core                hugepages/          network_latency     sdc                 stderr              tty22               tty4                tty57               usbmon1             vhci
cpu/                hwrng               network_throughput  sdc1                stdin               tty23               tty40               tty58               usbmon2             vhost-net
cpu_dma_latency     initctl             null                sdc2                stdout              tty24               tty41               tty59               usbmon3             watchdog
crash               input/              nvram               sdc3                tty                 tty25               tty42               tty6                vcs                 zero
disk/               ipmi0               oldmem              sdd                 tty0                tty26               tty43               tty60               vcs1
dm-0                kmsg                port                sde                 tty1                tty27               tty44               tty61               vcs2
dm-1                kvm                 ppp                 sdf                 tty10               tty28               tty45               tty62               vcs3
dm-2                log                 ptmx                sg0                 tty11               tty29               tty46               tty63               vcs4
dri/                loop-control        ptp0                sg1                 tty12               tty3                tty47               tty7                vcs5
fb0                 lp0                 ptp1                sg2                 tty13               tty30               tty48               tty8                vcs6
fd/                 lp1                 ptp2                sg3                 tty14               tty31               tty49               tty9                vcsa

Best Regards,

=================================
이현탁 (Hyun-Tak Lee)
SK hynix Inc.
Solution Product Group
SSD System Engineering
Tel : +82 31-8093-4369
Mobile: +82 10-6557-2559
E-mail: hyuntak.lee at sk.com<mailto:hyuntak.lee at sk.com>
SK hynix CONFIDENTIAL
This E-mail is intended only for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of this information or dissemination, distribution or copying of this E-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return E-mail and delete the original message