[smartmontools-support] NVMe USB Passthrough

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Mon Oct 15 07:27:35 CEST 2018

Harry Mallon wrote:
> Has anyone managed to get NVMe passthrough commands on a USB3-NVMe
> chip like the JMicron or Asmedia ones? Is there support in
> smartmontools already?

No. No.

> Is there any documentation out there at all if not?

I'm not aware of any documentation. Often this is only available under
NDA which is not an option for GPL projects.

Do you have any info which USB-NVMe bridges actually provide a NVMe
pass-through?
Are there vendor specific tools to read NVMe SMART/Health log via USB?

The SAT (SCSI/ATA Translation) standard defines vendor independent ATA
PASS-THROUGH commands which are supported by many USB-SATA bridges.
Unfortunately the "NVM Express: SCSI Translation Reference" does not
specify any NVMe pass-through command.

Thanks,
Christian