[smartmontools-support] SmartmonTools - Reallocated_Sector_Ct Showing string instead of INT

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Mon Oct 15 07:00:38 CEST 2018

Jonathan Bradbury wrote:
> Hoping i'm phrasing this correctly. Running smartmontools use to give
> an integer output for Reallocated_Sector_Ct, after a new drive was
> installed we're seeing a String output that looks like a range.
>
> Before: WDC WD2500AAKX-60U6AA0
>   [ 5, "Reallocated_Sector_Ct", "0x0033", 199, 199, 140, "Pre-fail",
> "Always", null, *41* ]
>
> After: TOSHIBA DT01ACA050
>  [ 5, "Reallocated_Sector_Ct", "0x0033", 95, 95, 5, "Pre-fail",
> "Always", null, 2072, "*(0 259)*" ],
>
> Would this just be something weird with the HDD firmware?

The output "2071, (0 259)" is due to default print format "-v
5,raw16(raw16)", see man page.
Try "-v 5,hex48" or "-v 5,raw48" option to print full 48-bit value in
hex or decimal: 0x1030818 = 16975896.

I have no idea what this value may mean. This attribute may mean
something different than Reallocated_Sector_Ct. There may be a firmware
bug which results in bogus raw data. In general, the firmware can put
any value here. SMART attributes are not part of any (S)ATA standard.

Thanks,
Christian