[smartmontools-support] pending sectors behind RAID controller, force correction???

Bruce Allen bruce.allen at aei.mpg.de
Sat Jul 28 07:36:49 CEST 2018

Hi David,

These are good questions.  Unfortunately I don't have the answers.  (You
are sufficiently informed and experienced that any questions you have
are probably ones for which there is no group knowledge!)

But the good news is that most hardware vendors have realized that
supporting SMART features (at least for knowledgeable end users) is a
worthwhile thing to do.  In addition, many of these vendors use
smartmontools internally, so they share a common language and
understanding with us.

So I suggest that you write a carefully worded letter to the company
that made your RAID card, and ask them how you can force pending sector
bad blocks to get overwritten.

Cheers,
	Bruce