[smartmontools-support] JMicron JMS567 - not retrieving SMART data

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Wed Jan 3 22:59:16 CET 2018

Styx wrote:
> I have an Oyen Digital Mobius 5-bay RAID enclosure running on Debian
> 8.10 connected via USB 3.0
>
> The enclosure has 2 WD Red NAS 4TB (WD40EFRX) in it and is configured
> in JBOD mode.
>
> From what I got, it seems the enclosure is using a JMicron JMS567
> USB-SATA Bridge (http://www.jmicron.com/PDF/brief/jms567.pdf) combined
> with a JMicron JMB394 RAID Port multiplier
> (http://www.jmicron.com/PDF/brief/jmb394.pdf).
>
> I found in the mailing list archive the following email:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/smartmontools/mailman/message/32935671/
> which indicated that JMS567 seem to work find with smartctl when using
> the "sat" driver.
>
> So I tried to read the SMART data from my drives on the system, and
> unfortunately I could not retrieve all the information I want,
> especially the SMART attributes.

The problem is that the JMB394 emulates logical disks and hides direct
access to physical disks.
See related ticket: https://www.smartmontools.org/ticket/705

> I would like to indicate first that, when I plug this enclosure to a
> windows system, using the USB3.0 connection, I can read the smart data
> using a tool named HDSentinel (https://www.hdsentinel.com/) and I do
> get all the information, including attributes, temperature, ... .

This is possibly because the vendor of this closed source tool signed a
NDA for related documentation or source code. Developers of open source
projects like smartmontools cannot do that. JMicron did not reply to my
request for information.

> But when I use smartmontools 6.6.1 on windows I cannot retrieve all
> the SMART Data (no attribute, temperature, logs, ..), I actually get
> the exact same errors as on Linux, which are the one you can see below.

If possible, please try the JMraidcon tool mentioned in ticket 705. It
may require that the RAID enclosure is connected via eSATA instead of
USB. If this tool works, we may add JMB39X support to smartmontools in
the future.

Thanks,
Christian