[smartmontools-support] smartctl freezes on High Sierra

Michael Roitzsch reactorcontrol at icloud.com
Tue Jan 2 13:00:08 CET 2018

Hi smartmontools team,

I have been using smartctl for years now to check the health of my drives. But I noticed with High Sierra, smartctl no longer works with external Thunderbolt drives. This used to work before. What happens is that 'smartctl disk1' says it could successfully open the device, but 'smartctl -a disk1' would go into uninterruptible sleep state. Not even kill -9 terminates the process, only a reboot helps.

Is this a known issue? If not, I am willing to help debugging this.

Michael