[smartmontools-support] -W option not sending emails, and general debugging

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Sun Oct 8 15:53:37 CEST 2017

Shakil Shaikh wrote:
> 1) I am using the -W option as so in my smartd.conf:
>
>                 -W 0,0,20 \
> As my disk is reporting a temp of 30+, I would expect and email to be
> sent. But I do not see it. Is there a reason why?

Smartd version? Platform?

> Test emails are being sent on daemon restart, but nothing for temps
> (apart from once, except I don't know why). Is this a state issue?

If state persistence is used, only one mail per day will be sent by
default, even if smartd is restarted. See '-s' command line option on
smartd man page and '-M daily' directive on smartd.conf man page.

Please check smartd syslog output for related messages ("Temperature ...
reached critical limit ...").

> If so, how can I reset emails just to get tests?

Remove the .state file.
Or temporarily set e.g. '-W 0,0,50' to reset the email warning counter.

> 2) For my SSDs, the temps appear to be reported in a different
> attribute (190). How do I use -W for these (as the man page suggests
> it only uses 194)?

190 is used if 194 does not exist. A possible drive database should
specify '-v 190,tempminmax,...'.
If 194 exists but does not return temperature, try to add '-v
194,Unknown' to smartd.conf entry.

> 3) Although I have successfully received test emails, how do I know
> that my config is correct? Ie can I "fake" a smart failure somehow to
> see how a real warning email would look like?

Sorry, no. Feel free to suggest an enhancement in our Trac:
https://www.smartmontools.org/newticket

Thanks,
Christian