[smartmontools-support] mdadm stuck at 0% reshape after grow

Edward Kuns eddie.kuns at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 01:20:44 CET 2017

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Wols Lists <antlists at youngman.org.uk> wrote:
> But if this is true, for a drive that doesn't support sct (I don't have
> one to test), the command will fail but return 0!!! So the script
> doesn't realise anything is wrong, doesn't fix the defaults, and leaves
> the raid array in the dangerous situation where linux will time out long
> before the drive does.
>
> So does smartctl return 0 if the drive doesn't support sct? If so why?
> And what's the easiest way to detect such a drive if so?

I can reproduce this on a Samsung 830 SSD (released in 2011, probably
purchased in 2012).  I also have an 840 Pro SSD which does not have
this problem -- it fully supports SCTERC being set.  I don't know how
representative of SSD models these two are, but that gives a time
frame for this support appearing in SSD drives.

               Eddie